THE FAST TRACK TO THE SUMMER BODY – LAST MINUTE TIPS
by John Harris Fitness
Summer has arrived, and vacation is just around the corner. However, your summer body is nowhere to be seen. So, what can you do to feel confident by the beach or poolside? We're here to reveal our 5 nutrition tips and 5 training tips to help you out.
You definitely need to make some adjustments to your current lifestyle. In many cases, small changes are enough to shed those extra pounds around your hips, achieve a flat belly, and tone your arms. However, achieving this without exercise and a fitness program isn't possible. You need to move! Let's start with our 5 training tips
- Weight Training - Choose a resistance that makes the last two repetitions of a set challenging. This ensures that the intensity is just right.
- Rest Days Are Important Too - Muscles need time to repair and recover, so incorporate one to two rest days per week.
- Incorporate Compound Exercises - Add complex exercises to your routine. These are exercises that target multiple muscle groups simultaneously, helping you burn more calories. Examples include squats, kettlebell swings, pull-ups, and rowing.
- Warm-Up - Never start training cold. Spend a few minutes warming up. Jumping rope and light jogging are especially effective.
- HIIT - The ultimate fat burner, as we've previously introduced. The principle involves alternating between high-intensity periods and active recovery phases. The high-intensity phase should not exceed 60 seconds. Give it your all during this time. This is followed by a recovery phase. A typical exercise-rest ratio is 30 seconds of exercise to 30 seconds of recovery. More information can be found in this blog post.
Now, onto our 5 nutrition tips! Often, significant results can be achieved with small changes.
- Stay Hydrated - Consume three liters of water daily. To add some variety, you can infuse your water with lemon or berries.
- Avoid - ...white flour products, alcohol, pasta, and sweets. Instead, opt for vegetables, proteins (fish, meat, lentils, beans), and whole grains. Also, avoid dairy products.
- Reduce Carbohydrates - This is the quickest way to shed a few extra kilos before summer. Especially in the evenings, you should cut down on carbs. It's best to consume carbohydrate-rich meals for breakfast or right after your workout.
- Intermittent Fasting - For those who don't enjoy breakfast in the morning or often feel overfed, intermittent fasting could be worth trying. This involves fasting for 16, 18, or 20 hours daily, leaving a window for eating. During the 4-6 hours of eating, avoid constant consumption and have just two meals to prevent overeating. For instance, if you want to eat for 6 hours and fast for 18 hours, your schedule might look like this: Have your first meal at 12 PM (lunch) and then your dinner at 5 PM. You'll fast from around 6 PM until the next day at 12 PM.
- Avoid Liquid Calories - Our brain doesn't perceive calorie-containing drinks as meals. The extra calories you consume won't make you feel full or satisfied. Opt for calorie-free drinks like tea or water with lemon.
By following these tips, you're on your way to achieving your summer body goals.